Saltwater Edge Albie Shootout
September 1st to October 10th, 2022
Albies anglers and therefore tournaments that feature them need to adapt almost every season. Every season seems to have a theme "They are early", "They are late" "They are huge this year" we have heard them all. As a result we have tweaked The Albie Shootout over the years; but the focus remains a fun celebration of one of our favorite gamefish. Among the tweaks, we saw the need to stretch the tournament to nearly six weeks–September 1-October 10th, 2022–to get more people involved and increase the odds of good fishing and weather. Also, we’ve decided to change the format for 2022 and make it a cumulative length of two albies instead of just one.
How It Works
You will need to sign up and pay your $25 entry fee before entering a fish.You will need to specify whether you are registering for the conventional or fly fishing division–you can purchase two registrations and submit fish for both divisions. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to American Saltwater Guides Association and directly support its Albie Tagging Project.
Upon registration, anglers will receive an Angler ID number. Your angler ID number is the last four digits of your order number. Additionally, at the start of each tournament week, we will send out a new weekly-letter that anglers must write on their hand (along with their unique Angler ID) before entering a fish. Anglers will then lay the fish out beside or on top of a measuring device, with your hand (and Angler ID and weekly-letter clearly visible), and snap a photo of the fish.The photos will then be submitted to Saltwater Edge via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please declare how you caught your fish (fly/conventional and shore/vessel), the length of the catch, and your Angler ID. The anglers with the largest two-fish tallies in each division (spin and fly) will win prizes. Anglers are encouraged to share their catches on Instagram and tag @albieshooutout and @saltwaterguidesassociation –we will award weekly photo prizes. All photo's submitted become the property of Saltwater Edge and can be used in future promotion. There will also be prizes for the largest overall albie, bonito, and Spanish mackerel.
2022 Albie Shootout Rules
- All participating anglers must hold a valid saltwater fishing license (or reciprocal equivalent) for the state(s) in which they intend to fish.
- The Saltwater Edge 2022 Albie Shootout will be open to all anglers fishing the waters from Cape May, New Jersey north.
- There will be four divisions: shore-conventional, vessel-conventional, fly-shore, and fly-conventional. All participating anglers will be required to declare the means they caught the fish when they submit their catch.
- Each week, we (The Saltwater Edge staff) will send out a new weekly letter. Anglers will be required to write their Angler ID and the weekly letter on their hand and ensure that it can be read in any photo entered. Any photo not showing the angler ID and the weekly letter will be disqualified. For Example, 123456-A.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN FISHING, lay out a place to record your fish, this will ensure that you can release them as quickly as possible. This place should be flat and easy to access. (develop a plan to safely and quickly measure, photograph, and release your catch.)
- You will need a MEASURING TAPE or RULER than reads in INCHES, a digital camera or phone (used at your own risk, the Saltwater Edge cannot be held responsible for lost or damaged electronics or fishing equipment for that matter!), and a permanent marker to write your Angler ID and the weekly-letter on your hand.
- Lay your fish on top of your ruler/measuring device, put your hand on or near the fish and snap a photo. Calculate the length of your catch in WHOLE INCHES, no halves or quarters from the nose to the fork. If your fish appears to be longer than the nearest whole inch, ROUND UP to the next one. For example, if your fish measures 26.75”, submit that fish as 27”.
- Email your catch submission to email@example.com the same day you caught the fish. Please include the submission picture, your Angler ID, how you caught your fish (fly/conventional) and (shore/vessel), length of fish, and state where caught. We will populate the scoreboard as the tournament progresses.
- Ties will be broken by the score that includes the largest fish, if the scores are made up of two identical fish, then the tie will be broken by an angler who entered his/her fish earliest. If by some amazing feat of perfect timing, all three fish were entered at the exact same moment, the tie will come down to a coin flip.
- Prizes can be picked up in-store, or they will be shipped the week following the completion of the tournament.
Ways To Win
Win the shore division
Win the boat division
Win the fly-shore division
Win the fly-boat division
Catch the largest albie
Catch the largest bonito
Catch the largest Spanish Mackerel
Grand Photo Prize = Show us what makes albie fishing so awesome! The best photo gets a $100 Saltwater Edge Gift Card!
Albie Shootout Sponsors
Rio Fly Lines
Bull Bay Rods