Saltwater Edge Albie Shootout 2021 Registration
Saltwater Edge Albie Shootout
Friday, September 10th to Saturday, October 2nd
It’s hardtail season again and the only way to make this momentous time of year more exciting is to spice it up with some competition! After a socially distanced success last year in its longer format, the Albie Shootout is back for 2021 and the stage is set for a bigger turnout with the same level of competition in divisions for shore, kayak, fly, and boat—with awesome prizes for each winner. The event will run in a catch-photo-release format and anglers will compete to tally the lengths of three albies to win awesome prizes from Shimano, Daiwa, Hogy, FishSnax, and more. In addition to these prizes, there will be awards for the largest albie, the largest bonito, and the largest Spanish mackerel—with opportunities to win other prizes as well. The entry fee is $25 per angler, available for purchase in-store or here on this product listing, the proceeds will be donated to the American Saltwater Guides Association.
The Albie Shootout will officially kick off at 6 a.m. on September 10th and the last casts will be made at 7 p.m. on October 2nd. The tournament is open to anglers fishing the waters of New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts with the only qualifying requirements being that you sign up before you begin fishing (signups will remain open for the duration of the event) and that you hold a valid saltwater fishing license (or reciprocal equivalent) for the state or states in which you intend to fish.
Anglers will have to photograph each fish they catch beside or on top of a measuring device that reads out in inches, with a second photo showing the angler with the fish—selfies are acceptable. Each inch will translate to one point, and your catch scores will be rounded up to the nearest whole inch, no halves or quarters. Participating anglers should know ahead of time that their photos will be posted to the tournament Instagram account @swetournaments and the photos may also find themselves used in promotional material or blog posts on the company website.
Albie season is saltwater fishing’s version of a double-shot of espresso, when you take on the challenges of competition, it’s like a Red Bull, spiked with espresso. Hang onto your hardtails ladies and gentlemen, this thing is about to get crazy!
2021 Albie Shootout Rules:
- All participating anglers must hold a valid saltwater fishing license (or reciprocal equivalent) for the state(s) in which they intend to fish.
- The Saltwater Edge 2021 Albie Shootout will be open to all anglers fishing the waters from New Jersey through Massachusetts.
- There will be three divisions: shore, boat, and kayak and all participating anglers will be required to declare a category. Anglers fishing in the BOAT and KAYAK divisions may enter fish caught from shore as part of their tally, but those that select the SHORE division must catch all of their fish from the shoreline or something attached to the Earth like a rock, jetty, dock, pier, etc.
- At the start of each Friday morning, we (The Saltwater Edge staff) will send out a new keyword. Anglers will be required to write the keyword on their hand and ensure that the keyword can be read in any photo entered. Any photo not showing the keyword will be disqualified.
2021 Albie Shootout Prizes:
Shimano Twin Power
Van Staal Fly Reel
Diawa BG MQ
St Croix Mojo Inshore
Simms Flyweight Wading Boots
RIO Fly Line
Orvis Sling Pack
Albie Snax Lure Selection
Saltwater Edge Albie Hoody
More prizes to follow...
How To Enter A Fish:
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN FISHING, lay out a place to record your fish this will ensure that you can release them as quickly as possible. This place should be flat and easy to access.
- You will need a MEASURING TAPE or RULER that reads out in INCHES, you will need a digital camera or phone (used at your own risk, the Saltwater Edge cannot be held responsible for lost or damaged electronics) and a Sharpie marker to write the keyword on your hand.
- Lay your ruler/tape out next to your fish, put your hand on or near the fish and snap a photo. Using the image, calculate the length of your catch in WHOLE INCHES, no halves or quarters. If your fish appears to be longer than the nearest whole inch, ROUND UP to the next one.
- After taking the shot that records the length, you will be required to shoot a selfie or ‘grab and grin’ photo to show your face with the fish. When done correctly this process should take less than a minute.
- Email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will populate the scoreboard as the tournament progresses.
- Ties will be broken by the score that includes the largest fish, if the scores are made up of three identical fish then the tie will be broken by angler who entered his/her fish earliest. If by some amazing feat of perfect timing, all three fish were entered at the exact same moment, the tie will come down to a coin flip.
- Prizes can be picked up in-store or they will be shipped the week following the completion of the tournament.
How To Win:
Win the Kayak Division
Win the Shore Division
Win the Boat Division
Win the Fly Division
Catch the Largest Albie
Catch the Largest Bonito
Catch the Largest Spanish Mackerel