- Gear, Passion and Expertise from bonefish to bluefin-
The Saltwater Edge was established in 1992 to share our passion for saltwater fishing. We have moved and expanded a number of times since the early days on Thames St in Newport, RI. We are now located at 1037 Aquidneck Ave in Middletown, RI.
Who are the people of The Saltwater Edge?Peter Jenkins (Owner)
– Basically the guy who makes it all possible. You’re likely to find Peter fishing dry flies on The Blackstone or casting Ray’s Flies to stripers. “Jenks” (as he is known to his friends) was a lacrosse BEAST in his day. Member of the Washington College Hall of Fame.Pete Graeber
– The “other” Peter. Pete’s the guy who keeps everything moving here at The Edge handling web development, marketing, purchasing, and more. You’ll find Pete both on shoreline and sea chasing striped bass, albies, and tuna with all manner of fishing gear but don’t be surprised to find him wielding the long rod with a prowess rivaled only by the manner in which he “cracks the whip” around the SWE.Scott Wilson
– Scott has been working at The Saltwater Edge since early 2011 and is a devoted shore and paddle board angler who rarely leaves Aquidneck Island, to pursue fish. A native of the Newport area, he spends the summer months casting from the local shoreline with his friends, children and also guides visitors who want to partake in the abundant fishing opportunities that our island provides.Captain Ryan Gluek
– Ryan has guided from Chile to Alaska and has now moved back to his home waters to pursue his original passion for chasing everything from stripers to tuna on light tackle and fly rods. Check out Double Haul Anglers here.Tommy Pelto
– Tommy is a hardcore surfcaster. Found regularly from the Canal to the Breachways. Hops on a boat with his Dad for fluke and black sea bass. Going to forget more about custom plugs than most of us will ever know.Mike “Iron Man” Everin
– Legendary surfcaster, parent of 3 really intense kids, and the most generous fisherman I have ever met.
The Saltwater Edge “Extended” FamilyAlex Bewley
– Passionate…flyfisherman, surfcaster, photographer.Liz Ferreira
– LIz helps hold down the fort on Saturdays. We need her organization and quick smile to keep the place together. She loves to throw a fly in fresh or saltwater.Dannielle Chobot
– Dannielle is DEFINITELY the shop mother around here, and quite literally Chris Chobot’s mother. She’s ushered in an era of organization and on-time payment here-to-fore unheard of at The Edge. Dannielle is the one who balances the books and keeps us in our vendor’s good graces. She enjoys tea and reading about the history of England, Aquidneck Island, and The Chesterton Windmill.
Chris Chobot (Web Guy)
– You might find Chris upstairs at The Edge (or at home at all hours) working on the website. But he’d rather you found him out fishing in his farmer grizzly or battling schoolies on his 2-weight. Chris’ favorite food is Nachos… Honey if you’re reading this how about Nachos for dinner?
– Capt. Corey is the hardest working person we know. In season he’s out on the water, guiding his clients to that fish of a lifetime. Corey maintains a photo gallery, blog and email newsletter on his website:www.PlugNPlayCharters.com. When not on the water, Corey can be found providing great customer service to Saltwater Edge Customers. A highly accomplished angler in his own rite, you may find Corey casting to bonefish, bass, blues or battling bluefin tuna on the fly. His vision and angling instinct is the stuff of legend, as is the pumpkin hat he’s wearing in the picture.
– Steve is an accomplished fresh and saltwater angler and an outstanding tackle tech who has brought many reels back from the brink. Steve’s a true jack-of-all-trades and he once even dated Dolly Parton.
– Hard to say if Earl is a better fisherman or fishing photograper. He has some stunning accomlishments in both realms. There are many national and regional magazine placements to his credit. When he puts down the camera and picks up the rod he finds the fish in both fresh and saltwater. Selling cars; but wishin’ he was fishin’ Paramount Auto Group
– Arden is our ‘foodie” from Manhattan by way of Montauk were he grew up in a wetsuit with surf rod in hand. Arden will chase anything with fins; but is partial to striped bass, fluke and yellow fin. If you are ever looking for a resturaunt recomendation this is the guy to ask. If you are ever in Montauk looking for a restuuant why not go to Arden’s place
– Mike is a bit of a mystery, but here’s what we know: Mike has a deep appreciation for “quality” in all it’s forms – whether it’s a custom wooden plug or classic surf bags, oysters at Matunuck Oyster Bar, a Four Seas ice cream cone, or a Pour Judgement burger & beer. Mike did a lot of the little things that earn us a high customer satisfaction rating.
Dennis Zambrotta – Rudy Babikian
– Rudy is the latest in a LONG line of local college kids who have chosen to mis-spend their summer vacation and youth working at The Edge. You may recognize him from such classic YouTube videos as “Rigging an Eel” and “Manley Men”. Rudy hails from Portland, ME. He’s an accomplished and adventurous angler. Check out his Hidden Hook website.
– Dylan got his first pay check from the Saltwater Edge when he was 16 and we were in our second location on Thames St. I remember there was no real work space inside so he sat on the stoop out back and counted split rings in the blazing sun. Recently, he launched Badfish.tv a project that has been his vision for some time.
Dylan Schmitz – Dylan got his first pay check from the Saltwater Edge when he was 16 and we were in our second location on Thames St. I remember there was no real work space inside so he sat on the stoop out back and counted split rings in the blazing sun. Recently, he launched Badfish.tv a project that has been his vision for some time.
Rob Taylor – Flat out “Big Fish Whisperer” skilled at many types of fishing in both fresh and saltwater. Don’t know anyone esle who so consistantly gets “dude that’s a biginsert species here” comments on his Facebook. Check out his charter businessNewport Sportfishing.
Chris Aubut – After a successful guide career in Westport and Key West. Chris has shifted his attention to rod building and being an awesome Dad. Check out Aubut Rods here.
Dave Sanderson – A native Rhode Islander now living in Florida where he seems to have got the Biscayne Bay flats fishing figured out.
Tim Shields – Steve McKenna – Craig Appleman – Daphne Forster – Ray Antaya – Josh Harmsen –